Sunday, December 17, 2006

She is Incredible

She is just turning seventeen, this year. She came to US as a Student for AFS Program and she’s been here for 6 month, she will stay until the end of this year. Seems just usual ha…. Wait a second… after this conversation; I learn a lot from her:
E: Do u miss home?
I: Not really, I like it here…
E: But off course u miss mom and dad..? (Well I do…even me almost turning forty)
I: Not really coz, I used to live far from them, and in fact I see them only ones a year
E: Oh Why..? So you live far away from them?
I: Yah I used to live in Pondok since I was 12 y.o
E : (ehmm… I feel like I am a little girl in front of her)…, Do u like it?
I : Yeah…off course…but so many rule… there… so it’s fun to be here, I enjoy it.
E : But when you were living in pondok, you see your parents a lot.. did you?
I : Not really, coz my dad live in Jakarta and my mom at Kebumen, so I just visit them every 6 month.
E : Oh…is your dad working in Jakarta? What does he do?
I : He is working as a massager; he is blind since he was born.
E: (Speechless…, deep breathe… Subhanallah…) your mom is a great lady, what does she do?
I: She is a teacher in kinder garden
E: (Speechless again…, is this true love…?). Well you are lucky to have a chance to get a scholarship,
I : Yes I am.. (smile and happy face…even she has a scar in her face…I really want to do something to change that…)
E: How can you get a scar?
I : I have got accident when I was baby…, not sure...(She is Javanese, old style java family…no chance to know something… just happened…and accepted…hiks…)
E: So how is the school..? You are wearing your Moslem costume, do they teasing you?
I: Yes they do, just live them alone... (Maybe she used with teasing since she was a little girl…, so it makes her tough...).
E: Good job…great girl…!! If do u need something…please...let me know...
I : Yes I Will and I don’t need money, I have got scholarship $ 125 a month and that’s enough, I don’t need to buy anything, last week I sent my money for my brother, because he need money for University… (hiks… She is really awesome…in her poorness she is rich… My tear...drops…I hope she can’t see it, its dark, she was sitting beside me in my car…)
E: So what is your plan when u goes back home..? You collect your money for university?
I : I don’t even thinking about university, I probably would like to have a small business, coz my dad already old… and if he is retired… he can’t do massage anymore, I would like to work to support his live (hiks…again….please… stop my tears…).
E : There we are… (We are arrived at her “American mom” home and thanks God I can hold my tears..)
I: OK... thanks for driving me home…
E: Nice talking to u, we should have time together sometimes….and hopefully will see u again; my door will always open for u… Have a good evening... great young lady… !! You are awesome...!!

Huaaaaaaa…I need my tissues…
Dear Ifa, May Allah Bless You always, Nothing impossible for Allah, please never give up, I know you are very confident and you have a strong mind. Some people never know how hard to live in your condition, they just complain too much with everything that they don’t have. Thank you for teaching me about life..

Ali Imran 160 :

If Allah helps you none can overcome you: if He forsakes you, who is there, after that, that can help you? In Allah, then, let Believers put their trust.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was devastated when I didn't get the AFS scholarship to US (like my dad 30 years before me), and even more depressed when they cancel my hard-winning 2nd option to Germany due to the breaking of Berlin Wall.

But reading this story, I feel that all my frustration was finally paid off.. as the chance I lost years ago was granted to another girl who [in my opinion] needs it more.. ;) And it seems more beneficial in her hand ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeah dik Maya..Sometimes we never know,..you have got more than her, I am sure